February 16, 2021
NYCxDESIGN Presents Upcoming 2021 Calendar with Reimagined Festival
Non-Profit Celebrates New York City’s Design Scene Through Creative Year-Round Activations and Programming
WHAT: NYCxDESIGN, the non-profit committed to empowering the city’s creative ecosystem, announces its 2021 programming with a robust calendar of activations. During a year of revitalization, these events aim to showcase and support the value of design across the five boroughs. Highlighted by an engaging series of marketing and community programs including its new Breakout Grant initiative and the return of the NYCxDESIGN Awards, the organization aims to spotlight the enduring spark of the city’s design scene. New York City-based design schools, museums, associations, studios, design districts, and more will be hosting events and content throughout the year. New media partners are also working closely with NYCxDESIGN management to develop additional programs to enhance the virtual and in-person lineup for 2021.
Spring programming will be centered around Design Days in May, a dedicated series recognizing NYC’s outstanding designers, practices, products, and spaces that make this city distinctly dynamic. From self-guided journeys and virtual tours in all five boroughs, to immersive online galleries, outdoor installations, and safely-organized live events, Design Days promises to be an engaging event for New York’s design lovers and professionals alike. ICFF and WantedDesign Manhattan’s CLOSEUP event will coincide with Design Days as well.
The fall program will be full of design activations and happenings culminating in the official NYCxDESIGN Festival (November 11-18), including anchor shows ICFF, WantedDesign, and for the first time, BDNY. NYCxDESIGN will present the second edition of An Ode to NYC poster campaign in October to coincide with and integrate many of the season’s design highlights including Archtober by the Center for Architecture, DesignPavilion, and LightFair. Updated programming information across citywide partner events and activations will be continually added to the NYCxDESIGN website.
NYCxDESIGN KEY MOMENTS
- March 8 – Launch of New Initiative in partnership with Caesarstone (stay tuned for details)
- May 1 – NYCxDESIGN: The Magazine (spring edition) Launches
- May 13 – Recipients of the Inaugural Breakout Grant Announced
- May 13-18 – Design Days (select days are still open for sponsorship)
- Thursday, May 13 – Architecture Day presented by Eventscape
- Friday, May 14 – Graphics & Branding Day
- Saturday, May 15 – Outdoors Day
- Sunday, May 16 – Interior Design Day
- Monday, May 17 – Product Design Day
- Tuesday, May 18 – Digital and Technology Day presented by Material Bank
- During Design Days (May 13-18)
- May 16-18 – CLOSEUP by ICFF and WantedDesign
- NYCxDESIGN Awards Virtual Ceremony
- NYCxDESIGN Student Showcase
NYCxDESIGN KEY MOMENTS
- October – NYCxDESIGN’s An Ode to NYC
- October – Unveiling of New NYCxDESIGN Initiative in partnership with Caesarstone (stay tuned for details)
- November 11-18 – NYCxDESIGN Festival
- September 9-12 – NY Luxury Design Fair
- September 9-12 – Armory Show
- October – Archtober by Center for Architecture
- Oct 9-17 – Design Pavilion
- Oct 25-29 – LightFair
- During The Festival
- Nov 14-15 – ICFF/WantedDesign Manhattan + BDNY
ONGOING NYCxDESIGN OPPORTUNITIES:
NYCxDESIGN invites all members of New York City’s design community to participate in The Mic–a user-generated podcast series hosted by Debbie Millman. This platform offers international visibility to NYC designers from all backgrounds and inspires New York City’s creative community by sharing diverse perspectives on a variety of topics.
The Design Corps is a network of design volunteers assisting restaurants in reopening and remaining open, considering the Covid-19 challenges. Restaurants looking for free design consultation, and design professionals interested in volunteering, can sign up here.
The second edition of NYCxDESIGN: The Magazine, the first and only magazine created entirely by New York’s most innovative minds, launches this Spring. Members of New York City’s creative community are invited to submit their work by March 15 to be considered for a feature. This year’s magazine will accept entries that focus on three reflective questions: “What is one tool you can’t do without? What do you have a passion for collecting?, and How do you collect ideas and references?”
Explore the first edition of the magazine by visiting info.nycxdesign.com/the-magazine
NYCxDESIGN invites New York City-based independent designers and design businesses to submit a new product or project that is in late-stage development for significant funding and visibility. A panel of esteemed jurors will award three finalists grants to go to market with their idea. The call for entries is open through March 26.
To apply visit info.nycxdesign.com/breakout-grant.
Stay tuned for additional announcements on events and activations in the coming months. Please contact Valerie Hoffman, Program Director, for inquiries around NYCxDESIGN partnerships ([email protected]).